Freedom of Information (FOI) request

Chandandeep Singh
5725 131A St
Surrey, BC
V3X 0K2
 
25th February 2024
 
Stéphane Brisson
Director General, Access to Information and Privacy Branch
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
RCMP MAILSTOP #61
73 Leikin Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0R2
 
Dear Stéphane Brisson,
 
Under the Access to Information Act please provide me with:
 
The total number of reported cases of violence/harassment towards Indigenous people, for the years 2018 to 2023 including verbal harassment and physical assault.
 
I have enclosed the $5 application fee in the form of a cheque.
 
If there are problems releasing some portions of the documents requested, please do
not withhold the release of all the documents, but instead, forward those you can release.
 
To avoid photocopying fees, you may provide me with these records in PDF format —
either via email or on USB.
 
If you have any concerns, please email me at 27deepchandan@gmail.com
 
Please advise me when the material is available for release.
 
Sincerely,
Chandandeep Singh
 
 
Reason for request:

The focus of this Freedom of Information (FOI) request is centred on the motivation that I gathered from the in-depth study of Indigenous peoples that I did in my entire semester. Before that I had not the slightest idea of their cultural meanings and what the term "Indigenous" actually means. But by reading different topics I have learned that they are the first inhabitants of our lands and they have existed long before us. An example of inequality towards them would be the mining of children from traditional cultures and enrolling them in schools of modern culture. This has prompted me to ask a question if they still experience harassment or assault. Moreover, I am also interested in knowing whether this trend is clear by the annual presentation of the incidents, or whether this is rising or dropping according to the annual reports.
 
 

Comments

  1. Hello, Chandandeep! I am interested right out of the gate due to us writing to the same Access to Information agent, Stephane Brisson. This class would be creating a lot of work for her! I think you did a good job of making this story more localized with the harassment towards indigenous peoples being the focus of information. One way to improve would be to research some more specific details of the hardships Indigenous peoples face here in Canada for your reason for request.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chandan, I really like your reason of request you explained everything so well. One thing catched my eye that asking for information from 2018 to 2023 was already a big task, could have been specified more but in addition to that you asked for both physical assault and verbal harassment.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment